ABOUT CALGARY SCIENTIFIC
Calgary Scientific provides innovative solutions that enable workers to access tasks traditionally performed on desktop workstations from the devices they use and the spaces they work from. We empower workers with secure remote access to enterprise data and images, full image interaction capabilities and anytime collaboration, so that they can complete work tasks more efficiently.
The Systems Administrator will provide technical knowledge in deployment and maintenance of networked systems. Responsible for assessment, analysis, and development of LAN and WAN, administration of network server hardware, operating systems and communication links, procurement, training and problem resolution. You will be required and accountable to show knowledge, and to co- ordinate work with all teams, both internal and external (CSI clients and business partners). The role also requires you to bring forward skills and talents to develop new, and refine existing, corporate processes.
The following duties ARE NOT intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification. Shown are duties intended to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities. You may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties as required.
- Ensure the stability and scalability of CSI’s datacenter/network infrastructure
- Plan, install, upgrade, troubleshoot and maintain operating systems and applications in support of business requirements
- Conduct performance monitoring and tuning, capacity planning, space management, quality assurance and disaster recovery planning to ensure the systems are secure and reliable
- Develop and maintain supporting utilities and applications to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of systems
- Accurately estimating time required for, and recording time spent on, support and project work; taking responsibility for individual productivity
- Assist with the design of network and systems plans, including the work necessary to implement and maintain these systems
- Network Administration, including building, maintaining and improving all aspects of CSI’s infrastructure - Citrix, WAN/LAN, servers, VPN and Internet access, as well as e-mail, security, data integrity and virus protection maintenance for all systems
- Generates recommendations on equipment, products and programs. Requisitions computer hardware/software purchases
- Installs new software releases, system upgrades, evaluates and installs patches and resolves software related problems
- Performs system backups and recovery
- Maintains data files and monitors system configuration to ensure data integrity
- Supports, monitors, tests, and troubleshoots hardware and software problems pertaining to LAN. Recommends and schedules repairs
- Provides end-user support for all LAN-based applications. Installs and configures workstations
- Work with colleagues and management to define short, medium and long-term strategies to ensure a flexible, scalable and robust infrastructure that can support a rapidly growing business
- Evaluate and recommend purchases and manage vendor relationships
- Establish and recommend policies on system use and services
- Play a key role in deploying and improving the environment by working with Services, Engineering and Management teams
- Working closely with cross-functional teams and other stakeholders as required
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with proven ability to document procedures, make presentations to an internal audience and work closely with the management team
- Ability to solve problems quickly and automate processes
- A solid understanding of an OS: paging and swapping, inter-process communications, devices and drivers, file system concepts, can use performance analysis to tune systems
- Experience with more than one UNIX-based operating system
- Experience with internetworking non-similar operating systems, e.g., UNIX, Windows, Mac.
- Discipline to meet deadlines
- A desire to learn
May be called to work off-shift in emergency situations. According to the needs of the organization, some incumbents in this job class may be required to obtain specific technical certifications. Employee may be required to travel or work occasional irregular hours, wear and respond to a pager or emergency communications device, and keep and carry a laptop/notebook computer.
The position requires the ability to sit for a long period of time in front of a computer workstation, as well as the ability to occasionally lift large objects up to 50 lbs.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering or another technical field or equivalent
- Must have minimum 3 years of experience with;
- VMware and / or other virtualization experience
- Unix, Linux / BASH shell experience
- Apache environments
- Backup and Recovery strategies and solutions
- TCP/IP networking protocols. Ability to debug and program at the network level
- Highly complex TCP/IP networks (networks that contain multiple routers and multiple media)
KEY TEAM MEMBER ATTRIBUTES
- You are honest, trustworthy
- You make time to help colleagues
- You demonstrate consistently strong performance so colleagues can rely upon you
- You are concise and articulate in speech and writing
- You learn rapidly and eagerly
We offer a dynamic, flexible work environment where you will get to work alongside very smart, passionate, dedicated professionals from around the world.
If this is your kind of opportunity, please forward your information, including a link to your LinkedIn profile to: email@example.com
Calgary Scientific, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.